Wilmington Area Information
Where the mountain and river meet, in nature's playground
The Town of Wilmington is home to Whiteface Mountain, site of the downhill skiing events for the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics, as well as the West Branch of the AuSable River, known throughout the United States for its legendary fly fishing. The Wilmington area is characterized by an abundance of available outdoor activities, including world-class downhill and cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, hiking, mountain and road biking, fly fishing, swimming, canoeing and hunting. In addition, the Village of Lake Placid, approximately 10 miles from Wilmington, boasts a multitude of shopping and fine dining.
Wilmington lies within the Adirondack Park, a unique 6 million acre assemblage of land in upstate New York, comprised of both public and private lands. Created in 1882, and similar in size to the State of Vermont, the Adirondack Park contains expansive blocks of backcountry and forest, interspersed with private and municipal property. The Wilmington area is truly unique, offering close proximity to Whiteface Mountain and Lake Placid, while still maintaining a relaxed atmosphere; virtually no traffic, pollution or crime.
Real Estate Trends in Essex County
The real estate market in the Whiteface/Lake Placid area continues to grow. The Adirondack Park's management of development has resulted in an overall increase in property values. Recreational and vacation real estate investment is more attractive to the aging baby boomers with expendable income. In addition, regional economic development and private projects have added to local values within the Park.
Several residential development projects are completed and others are in the planning process in the Wilmington/Jay area. We are anticipating future development trends similar to other vacation and resort locations in the form of townhomes and condominiums for those buyers who prefer low maintenance ownership.
Stay in touch with ACO Property Advisors, Inc. for the latest information on the local real estate market. We offer an informative and brief FREE monthly newsletter to help keep you up to date with local real estate trends. To request our monthly Wilmington/Whiteface Real Estate Newsletter, just email us and provide your e-mail or postal mail address.
Whiteface Mountain Area Resources
- www.WhitefaceRegion.com – Attractions, events and information about the Whiteface area including Wilmington and Jay, NY
- www.ausablerivertwoflyshop.com – Everything you need to know about fishing on the famous Ausable River
- www.Whiteface.com – The official site for Whiteface Mountain Ski Area. Find information about skiing, mountain biking, and the scenic Gondola ride.
- www.wilmingtonhistoricalsociety.org – Find out more about the history of Wilmington, NY and see upcoming programs and events.
- Search local MLS
Olympic Region Information and Attractions
- Olympic Regional Development Authority – Places to go, events and more in the Olympic Region including Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain
- www.LakePlacid.com – Year round events and activities available in Lake Placid and Essex Country, NY